Tax Planning – Business Law And Taxation Services Practice
Owen & Conley have served a number of different types of businesses in the business law and tax areas. We bring extensive legal experience in working with state corporation departments, the Internal Revenue Service, state tax departments and state attorneys general.
Effective tax planning strategies support, protect and improve the bottom line at every stage of a business’s lifecycle. Whether through corporate and partnership tax planning, employee benefit issues, tax controversy resolution, trust – estate and succession planning, or probate – trust administration, we guide our clients every step of the way.
Clients turn to us for representation before federal and state taxing agencies because of our reputation for resolving difficult tax controversies. The following is a representative sample of projects in which our firm has been involved with business entities:
- Choice of entity (i.e., consideration of corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies and business trusts).
- Corporate governance, including establishment of by-laws and boards of directors.
- Agreements among business owners, including shareholder agreements, partnership agreements and operating agreements.
- Development and review of key business contracts, including leases, information technology, supply, service and customer contracts.
- Sales, purchases and mergers of business entities.
- Conversion of business entities into nonprofit entities.
- Liquidations, partial liquidations, redemptions and retirements of key business owners.
- Purchases and sales of commercial real estate.
- Due diligence for business transactions.
- Establishment of a franchise system.
- Tax litigation, including U.S. Tax Court, as well as local real estate assessments.
- Estate planning for business owners.
- IRS and state tax audits.